Math Olympiad 2017-18
For 4th and 5th graders at Brewer Island Elementary for Academic Year 2017-2018
Hi 4th and 5th grade families.
Brewer Island is happy to announce that we will offer the Math Olympiad program for the 2nd year. What is Math Olympiad? In short, it’s a fun way for kids to challenge their logistical and mathematical thinking. There’s a lot more to it, and you can read about all the benefits at http://www.moems.org/program.
There are a series of 5 tests that are designed to pull you out of your comfort zone and exercise those thinking muscles. Each test has only 5 questions, and lasts only 30 minutes. After our last exam we will have a potluck dinner to celebrate the year.
What is it?
- It's a Math Team
- For grades 4 - 5
- Up to 35 students per grade
Why do it?
- Math is FUN
- Learn new Math concepts
- Improve problem solving
- Foster creativity and ingenuity
- Feel the thrill of overcoming challenges
Who is our Leader?
Gayatri Picha (brewerislandmatholympiad@
Trupti Gowda (email@example.com)
Shilpa Dogra (firstname.lastname@example.org)
There will be no formal meet ups to prepare for the exams, but families have the option of getting together outside of school and hosting their own study sessions. If you are a parent who would like to lead some study groups, please contact Gayatri and she will supply you with a list of students who are participating.
Gayatri Picha, Trupti Gowda and Shilpa Dogra volunteered to organize the Math Olympiad contest for 2017-2018 School Year, They will be Person In Charge of the Olympiads (PICOs). These PICOs would help coordinate/organize the Math Olympiad for the academic year 2017-2018.
Where do I sign up?
- If interested, please enroll at the following location on or before Friday Oct 13th using this link. The maximum students who can enroll this year is 70 (limited to the first 70 students), so secure your seat soon.
Can I have more details please?
- For any questions refer to http://www.moems.org/ and feel free to contact PICOs.
1. Math Olympiad requires 5 monthly tests, November – March, on 2nd Tuesday of each month. The dates are: Nov 14, Dec12, Jan 16, Feb 13, Mar 6
2. Exams will be conducted in Brewer Island Gym.
Each contest consists of five non routine problems.
Every problem requires careful mathematical thinking and has a time limit. Please refer to the sample attached question document.
3. PICOs/volunteers will grade the exams and upload the results on Math Olympiad site. PICOs will communicate the results to parents.
4. It will be the parent’s responsibility to prepare their kids for the test. They can form the study groups and get kids ready for the test.
5. Before Contests: To help a team prepare, each team receives 50 past problems with solutions to start, and then 25 more every year. Students know what to expect.
6. Based on the enrollments, we would create and register teams with MOEM.org.
7. Final schedule and finances will be communicated once we know how many students are enrolling, but we don't expect it beyond $10.
8. Please find the sample question on Math Olympiad Website.